-->

Billboard Ads

The 30 basket patterns have been researched somewhat and I have a little more information about them.  Last week, Annie O, of Annie's Quilt Orts (Here) gave me more information and I thank you Annie.  I had wondered why the woman who designed them used so many French knots on each block.  The article Annie told me about is published in a Better Homes & Gardens special edition "Century of Quilts" from 2002.  The article on Pages 60 and 61 reveals that the baskets were designed by a man!  I bet he never even made a French knot in his life, which explains his excessive use of them in his designs!  I'm just sayin...

Hubert Ver Mehren and his wife lived in Des Moines, Iowa and he stamped quilt blocks, pillowcases, and linens with designs for embroidery, as a side business for his button and pleating business.  His wife worked from home, and they started a mail order business called Home Arts Studios, and that name was sometimes used on his patterns, but never his actual name on any patterns.   Here is the basket I finished last week; notice the big circle of French knots:

Click here to enter